Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 16

I couldn't be happier with Jake's progress and just how easy he has made his recovery period.  I am just lucky that he turned out to be such a mellow and easy going dog.  I have no idea how anyone could have ever let go of this sweetheart.  He the most relaxed dog I have seen, nothing phases him and he has settled right in to life with me as if he had been here since birth.  While he is not nearly as quick to learn as my last lab, Tucker, Jake is picking up commands pretty quickly.  He is solid with sit, has now proven he can stay for 30 seconds to a minute consistently, and just last night did his first down without my aid!!!  Of course all of these commands were completed without distractions, but he is doing well after spending 4 years without learning a command.

While I have been lucky so far with Jake in that the heartworm treatment has been relatively without problems or setbacks, that is not always the case.  I did a lot of research on the web looking for information and discovered a pretty good blog by a small town Vet.  He did a post back in 2007 and he is still answering questions in the comment thread today.  I found just as much info in the comments and his responses as the article itself.  It really helped me understand the disease and the treatment options and gave me the ability to really discuss the details with my Vet.  Here is a link: Heartworm Blog


"Watching TV"
Polaroid SX-70 Sonar w/timer, Impossible PX600 batch 6/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment