Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 3, Jake is home!

I am happy to have the pup home!  He was pretty tired and went straight to bed after a brief sniff around to make sure everything is where he left it.  He doesn't seem to have any ill effects from the injections, no soreness.  I think he tired because there was so much going on at the vet, they had at least 5 other Lab Rescue dogs for various reasons, plus all of the vet techs fell in love with him and made sure he didn't go lacking for love :)  That's my boy!

While the main reason I have started photographing this difficult time, is just to give me something to focus on rather than worrying about what might happen, the other reason is I didn't find much info about this part of the process online.  So many people, like me, when they discover their dog has heartworms do the research and get nervous at the difficult path to recovery, but none ever did more than state that their dog either made it or didn't leaving me and so many others with little idea of what to expect.  So my plan is to try and fill in that gap.

Today a brief intro to heartworms.  They can only be transmitted one way, through an infected mosquito bite.  They pose no danger to people, but are fatal in dogs.  From what I have read it can take up to 6 months from the time of the bite to to when adult heartworms are found in the heart.  This is why you are supposed to give the preventative pills all year round even if there aren't mosquitoes about due to weather.  Also it is a myth that certain parts of the country don't have to worry about this.  All 50 states have had cases of heartworms.  The theory as to why varies but the data doesn't.  The pill don't cost nearly as much as the treatment once your dog has the disease, the bill can run $1200+.  The treatment can be fatal, or more specifically there are a few dogs who die before recovering but what I have read it seems that these rare cases are more because the dogs were allowed to much exercise.  More on that in a later post. 

Jake came to me with heartworms.  Had I known how serious that was I may not have adopted him, but I am glad I didn't know because he is a great dog and deserves a chance.  The countdown to March 24th has started...

"It's good to be home and back on MY bed!"
SX-70 Sonar, Impossible PX600 (batch 7/10)
Dark/light meter - half way between full dark and neutral
Devloped 4 minues in Hot/cold clip 

No comments:

Post a Comment